Chateau Náměšť nad Oslavou
The elite of the Moravian aristocracy met here in order to enjoy themselves and plot their political and family plans. At that time Moravia was a country of welfare, religious freedom and tolerance, thus the biggest in Europe. The Protestant Unity of Brethren had a printing house here, which was transferred to the nearby town Kralice in 1578. There one of the most valuable works of the Czech literature of that time originated – “The Kralice Bible”.
The chateau was famous at the end of the 18th century as an important centre of musical life in Central Europe. The chateau’s numerous orchestral players included teachers and folk musicians from the neighbourhood, but mainly the servants of the Haugwitz family – those who did not play well on an instrument were dismissed. The repertoire and the artistic quality were excellent, concerts were held even three times a week. Famous composers and performers were guests at the chateau. Musical tradition still continues.