22. 11. 2013
The catastrophic fire of 1773 destroyed the town and major part of the Renaissance interiors along with artistic collections.
The premises, temporarily roofed and abandoned by the Lords, went on decaying. The magnifi cent garden music pavilion with ingenious acoustics, the pearl of the Renaissance architecture, served as wood and game storage rooms and as a cowshed. Only the 20th century fully appreciated the chateau’s signifi cance and the reconstruction, which lasted for nearly twenty years, returned its impressive beauty.
From the cradle of the Renaissance the Mediterranean lightness and grace were transferred to the Southern Bohemia’s picturesquely undulating landscape with quiet forests and ponds by the Italian masters. The old castle fort changed to a majestic chateau with palaces linked by shady arcades. The vast complex of buildings, courtyards and the greenness create a harmonic unit with the adjoining town listed as a monument.